Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Bucket List Revised

In my original bucket list, I listed all the things I want to do in my lifetime, things I don't want to forget, things I dream of. Many things I'm sure won't happen, but it's fun to imagine.
While I visited the list over the last few weeks, I've made up my mind that some of the things I've "always wanted to do" are really not things I care deeply about any longer. They sound good, but they aren't deep personal desires of mine.

So here is my revised Bucket List:

-experience parenting (whether via giving birth, adopting or foster parenting)
-see Niagara Falls
-visit Australia
-see the Grand Canyon
-visit Ireland
-be professionaly trained by a pastry chef
-take a photography course
-have a family reunion at a log cabin on a lake and sit on the porch in matching rocking chairs with my hubby, watching our kids and grandkids play and visit.
-work with inner city youth


(I still want to do this, but it's not exactly a burning desire of mine. More like something I think I SHOULD do.)
-learn a foreign language

(these really aren't bucket list items and should just be on my goal list)
quit coffee
quit dairy
quit processed sugar
quit the snooze button
quit yeast
regularly declutter
regularly exercise
regularly print and frame photos
regularly update quicken
regularly read 1/2 hour every day from my reading list
regularly write poetry (I'm realizing this can't be forced. I write really well when I'm upset. Happy poems aren't in me. I don't want to be upset on a regular basis, so this goal "kicks the bucket!")

(these really are more like interesting things I'd enjoy learning more about)
In order of most to least interest:
learn how to do flatwork (a beading technique)
learn crochet
learn cutting
learn to knit (more than a scarf)

(This is something that when I was very young, I heard others say they wanted to do and the idea of it is really great. Reallistically though, it isn't high on my personal list. More a romanticized idea of a young girl wanting to see the world.)
see every continent

What do you think of a staggered plan of sorts?
I mean, here I am - at 31 years old, listing off things I want to do before I die. I know this list will be quite different for people in different stages of their lives, but I'm thinking it would be good to create a 5 yr plan, 10 year plan, 20, etc...
I like the idea because it takes some of the pressure off.


So here's my bucket list in stages:

-see a sunrise at the beach or from a great vista at least once a year

5 year plan: (by 36)
-take a photography course
-see Niagara Falls

7 year plan: (by 38)
-experience parenting (whether via giving birth, adopting or foster parenting)

10 year plan: (by 41)
-see the Grand Canyon

15 year plan: (by 46)
-work with inner city youth

20 year plan: (by 51)
-be professionaly trained by a pastry chef

35 year plan: (by 66)
-visit Ireland

45 year plan: (by 76)
-have a family reunion at a log cabing on a lake and sit on the porch in matching rocking chairs with my hubby, watching our kids and their kids play and visit.
-visit Australia

No comments: