Monday, August 4, 2008

August Challenges

Buy Nothing New Challenge:
First, what I have bought:
Puffs Plus (1.99) *Not sure if this is considered breaking the challenge, but it is for me because I really want to use my hankies instead of buying tissues. Unfortunately, today is one of "those days" where I get this incredibly bad sinus headache and can't stop sneezing. It's been going on for a couple years and noone knows what it is or why it happens. And nothing I have tried taking seems to prevent it!
store brand tylenol (2.99) *I know medicine isn't meant to be restricted, but I have plenty of meds at home but couldn't wait another four hours for relief!

Now, what I haven't bought: (but would have if it wasn't for this challenge)
Removable or retractable clothes line (anywhere from $20 to $150)
Egg Beaters (Egg product in a milk carton type package) ($5.99) *I was intending to buy the egg product for camping, but thought twice when they rang up at such a high price. I can just mix up my own eggs and put them in a resealable container for much less money!!

Husband Encouragement Challenge:
This has been a really neat exercise. It's a daily reminder that I am the primary source of encouragement in my hubby's life. He doesn't get a lot of positive feedback from his folks, work is quite stressfull and they don't show appreciation well, and his friends are not exactly a healthy influence. So when I am grumpy and grouchy and take him for granted, it's compounded because home is supposed to be that safe place, the "castle" so-to-speak. I'm not saying I won't allow myself to be honest about my feelings, but let's face it. There are times I have just been grouchy from work and don't reign it in before I get home, and he pays for it. (Sorry sweetie!)

Stash Month Challenge:
I haven't bought any new craft items yet! Actually, I had this great idea for a wedding present for a good friend of mine. She's getting married at the end of the month (Aug 30th) and her invitation states at the bottom: The gift of your presence is present enough. So cute, but oi. I'm sooo happy for her! She's almost 50, never been married, dated a lot of okay guys, and about 10 months ago found this really great guy! I just can't stop grinning when I think of them! And we all want to just whoop with joy over how perfect they are for each other and how wonderfull it is that they found each other! And I want to celebrate by doing something special. I have never liked "cookie-cutter" gifts like a place setting or a silverware set. I really enjoy finding or making something I know they'll just LOVE and never would have thought of themselves.
So, I thought - why don't I make a cross stitch of their invitation and frame it really nicely? It won't be so elaborate I won't be able to finish it in time, but it will be incredibly personal and totally unique. (Also one of my prerequisites for cross stitch projects.) So I went through my newly-organized embroidery floss and irish linen stash and what do you know...I found exactly the right colors!! I already have everything I need for the project except for the frame. And I bet you I can find that in my storage area too!

Org Junkie's Monthly Organizing Round Up: (Mudroom/Entryway)
Well, I've taken before pictures of the mudroom and the spaces that I anticipate putting all the coats, boots, shoes, etc. in. As I shared before, the timing of this challenge is perfect because in September, we're taking off the mudroom addition to the house and we aren't replacing it, so we have to find room "elsewhere." As for actual progress, that hasn't been made. But one step at a time, right?

Quit Now Challenge: Snooze Button
Mmmm. The snooze button. I'm getting the feeling this is going to be the hardest challenge of all. I used to hit the snooze button for an hour. August 1st: 40 minutes. August 2nd: 30 minutes. August 3rd: 30 minutes. August 4th: an hour. *sigh*

Menu Plan Mondays:
I was actually so excited about this, I went home and planned my menu last thursday! Here's what's up for the week.
Monday: Leftovers
Tuesday: Slow-cooker Chicken and Pineapple Rice with peas
Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: Spaghetti and meatsauce with ground turkey and salad
Friday: Leftovers
Saturday: All Day Mac N Cheese
Sunday: Homemade Pizzas with leftover meatsauce

No comments: