Monday, August 4, 2008

To fiction or not to fiction

I am a writer. I have been writing little snippets for as far back as I can remember. I write poetry, I write essays, I try to write fiction. I finish poetry, I finish essays, I can't finish a piece of fiction to save my life.
I dreamed for years to write a novel. To teach lessons in a roundabout way. To pretend to be a fictional person, to share the lessons I've learned in life through the creation of another.
Here are some of my past writings.
Last night I had a lightbulb moment. Perhaps I shouldn't be wasting my energy on something I haven't shown any talent in if I have shown talent in another area instead. I mean, come on already! Focus on non-fiction, essays, poetry. Another example of trying to spread myself too thin? Trying to conquer the entire world? Not content with the talents God has given me in one area, I want more, more, more?
Something I need to contemplate more, I suppose, but I think I might be on to something.
On the other hand, is it just that fiction is harder, and I'm giving up too easily?
*sigh* Who knows?

No comments: