Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Skirt Refashion

Here are pictures of the progression of my first skirt refashion:

What's wrong with it: Flouncy, too long for petite wearers,the ties on the side won't do anything for my waist, and frankly, neither will the color.
What I did:
Took off the 4 inch band at waist and the long ties. Took out some of the triangular filling panels, then dyed it blue (this panel is blue because I decided to take the rest of the panels out later.)


Reattached lining, sewed remaining panels together, fixed hem, adjusted waist, then added hook and loop fasteners. I was very reluctant to reattach the zipper...kind of afraid of it!



But then I tried it on and found that it pulled a bit, showing a gap of skin. Not Good. I'd decided to go back and install the zipper, but then when I thought about it more, realized I couldn't because I only had 4 inches to work with. What else could I do?

I inserted a panel from one of the triangular scraps as so...



And Voila! No skin!



It's high enough on the waist that it won't usually show. I'm not thrilled with it, but I'm happy that I found a creative way around the problem. I may make more changes again, but if I do I'll post them. Tomorrow I'm wearing my new skirt!



I think I'm going to go back and turn the lining into shorts to make this into a skort. The back tends to hike up and I can just see me bending over to do some filing and my boss walking around the corner...not funny! I think I'll move on to something else for now and come back to it! Oi. I have a feeling this particular refashion is going to go on for months!

No comments: